Thursday 27 February 2014

How to Conceal and Correct Uneven Skin

Spots! The Bain of my life for the last three or so years and something that at times can really affect my self esteem.  Nobody wants them however most girls at some point in their life will unfortunately experience them.  For me, I developed acne later in life and although it isn't half as bad as it once was I still suffer from it daily.  Diet,skin care and at times antibiotics have played a key role in controlling my breakouts however  makeup has been my saviour and is something that I rely on to help me feel more 'me'.  This might sound silly or even contradictory considering I am 'covering ' my features but I don't wear a lot.  I cover what I need to and enhance what I want to.  Believe it or not I don't wear a lot of foundation, I only apply it in the areas that I feel need it.  If I'm dramatising anything it will be my eyes and lips.  I love makeup and believe that it can not only be fun to experiment with but also really help women suffering from low self esteem.  So I thought I would share a little before and after picture and some 'how to' in terms of covering spots. Enjoy!     

Products

Primer
I use Laura Mercier oil free primer but also love Smash Box Photo Finish Light and Estée Lauder Matte Perfecting primer.

Foundation
On days that I feel I need a little extra coverage I use Estée Lauder Double Wear.  For me, this has been my holy grail in terms of long lasting high coverage foundations.  Believe me I have tried many!   I can't rave about this foundation enough.  Although it has high coverage it is definitely buildable and doesn't feel heavy or sticky on your skin.  An alternative would be Revlon Colour Stay, this is also really good and a less expensive option.

Under eye concealer 
There are lots of fantastic concealers on the market.  I like to use a creamy concealer under my eyes as I think they are more moisturising and less likely to look dry and 'cakey'.  For me, my go to under eye concealer is Rimmel's  Wake me up.  It is designed to reawaken and illuminate the under eye area and is available in four shades. Others I like are Touch éclat by YSL and Moisture Cover by MAC.

Spot concealer 
 I am currently using Mac Pro Conceal and Correct pallet in light.  However, Laura Mercier's Secret 
Camouflage concealer pallet is also fantastic and comes in eight shades.  Others that I've tried and love are Estée Lauder Double Wear, available in eight shades and also Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection available in two shades. 

Powder
Again, there are many excellent powders.  My favourite is Shu Uemura Translucent Powder and is one that is used by many makeup artists.  A good alternative is Rimmel's Stay Matte powder.

How to

Foundation
There is no right or wrong way to apply foundation, as long as you ensure everything is blended and you are wearing the correct colour.  Don't forget the ears!  Check the colour on the side of the neck and/ or the back of your hand, the colour should disappear.  To apply, some people like to use a brush, some a sponge and others just prefer to use their fingers.  Use whatever you are more comfortable with.  For me, because I tend to use liquid foundation I use a stippling brush.  My favourite is the Sigma stippling brush but Real Techniques also do a great one (available in boots). 
  
Under eye concealer 
For this I use my fingers and dab the product into my skin.   Choose a concealer that's a shade lighter than your foundation, or two shades depending on how dark your under eye circles are.  Yellow and peachy toned concealers help to counteract dark circles.

Spot concealer
I use a little synthetic buffing brush by Real Techniques and buff the product onto my spots, ensuring it is blended with the surrounding area. A little goes a long way, don't feel you have to use a lot. If after buffing the product in you feel you need a little more, dot a tiny amount directly onto the spot or redness and blend again If needed.  When concealing spots, use a shade as close to your natural skin tone as possible. 

Powder
For this you can use a brush or a powder puff.  I prefer to use a powder puff and press the product into my skin. I use this only in the areas I feel need it most, mainly my T Zone.  

Remember, only apply cover where you need it, too much everywhere highlights problematic skin rather then making it look better.



"who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle."
-Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Alice xox















No comments:

Post a Comment